NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. ALL NATIONAL, FEDERAL, STATE, PROVINCIAL, LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- SPONSOR. The Contest is sponsored by Blockstack PBC ("Sponsor"), 101 W. 23rd Street, New York, NY 10011.
- ELIGIBILITY. Subject to the additional restrictions below, The Can't Be Evil Contest Part 3 (the "Contest") is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, Canada (excluding Quebec), the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Japan, India, South Africa, and wherever else the Contest is not prohibited or restricted by law. The Contest is not open to residents of Quebec, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, or any jurisdiction where the Contest would be restricted or prohibited by law. Participants, including individual participants and members of a team, must be at least 18 years of age (or the local age of majority where they live, if older) at the time of registration. Officers, directors, representatives, agents, employees and contractors of Sponsor and its corporate parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising, and promotion agencies, and any other entity involved in the development or administration of the Contest, and immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with (whether or not related), any of the foregoing, are not eligible to win. The term "family members" includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, grandchildren and in-laws, and "steps" of each, regardless of where they live.
By participating in the Contest, participants agree to be bound by these official rules ("Official Rules") and by the decisions of Sponsor and any judges selected by Sponsor in all matters relating to the Contest.
- SUBMISSION PERIOD. The entry and submission period for the Contest commences on November 5, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. E.D.T. and ends on December 18, 2019 at 11:45 pm E.D.T. ("Submission Period"). Sponsor's computer is the official time keeping device for the Contest.
- HOW TO ENTER. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY AND NO ENTRY FEE, PAYMENT, OR PROOF OF PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE.
Participants may enter the Contest at any time during the Submission Period. The steps listed below must be completed during the Submission Period for an entry to be considered. Internet access and a Github account are required to enter.
Step One: An individual entering as a single participant or an individual designated as a team captain by members of his or her team ("Team Captain"), must register for the Contest (either in an individual capacity or on behalf of his or her team, as applicable), on Sponsor's DevPost page located at https://blockstack-evil3.devpost.com, and fill out all requested information.
Step Two: Build an application using Blockstack authentication at a minimum in the Most Fun, Best Designed Lightning Enabled, or Best Use of Twilio categories. Individual entries are eligible to win prizes in no more than two categories.
Step Three: Before the end of the Submission Period, submit to Blockstack using the online submission function on the DevPost page, and register the App to App Mining using the form located at app.co/submit, filling in all information, and writing "Can't Be Evil" in the "How did you learn about App.co or App Mining?" field.
All three steps described above must be completed to be deemed an eligible entry into the Contest.
Participating Team Rules: As described in Step One above, an individual may enter the Contest as an individual or as part of a team. Each member of a participating team must agree individually to and comply with these Official Rules. The failure of any team member to comply in any manner with these Official Rules may, in Sponsor's sole discretion, result in the disqualification of the team as a whole. By entering as a member of a team, each member acknowledges and agrees to the following rules for teams:
- After December 18, 2019, the membership of a team may not be changed.
- A member of a participating team may not submit any materials on behalf of the team without the agreement of each member of the team.
- Each member of the team is responsible for ensuring compliance of the other teammates with these Official Rules, including compliance of any and all submission requirements, regardless of which member creates or submits the materials.
- If a team is awarded a prize, such prize will be awarded to the Team Captain. It is up to the Team Captain to decide how to allocate the prize and Sponsor will have no responsibility for fulfillment of the prize to any team member other than the Team Captain.
- All applications submitted for consideration during the Submission Period must be in English and comply with the following requirements:
- The application must be built on Blockstack and use Blockstack for identity at a minimum.
- For the Best Designed Lightning Enabled Category, the application must make use of the Lightning Network.
- For the Best Use of Twilio, the application must make use of one of Twilio's API products.
- The application must be (1) the original work of the individual participant or the participating team; (2) third-party technology used by the individual participant or the participating team must be subject to valid perpetual, irrevocable licenses.
By submitting an application, the individual participant and each member of a participating team, jointly and severally, represent and warrant that the application, and all components thereof, will not violate any rights of any person or entity, including without limitation, any copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property rights, or violate any applicable national, federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or policies, including those relating to export control. Other Entry Terms:
Sponsor reserves the right to make reasonable modifications to entry, judging or other criteria (for example, additional clarification or detail for submission requirements) as deemed appropriate by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or supplement these Official Rules, and to communicate such modifications or supplements to participants, as Sponsor deems reasonable.
An individual participant or a member of a team may submit more than one project to the Contest, but must register each project separately in accordance with the three steps described above. Each project will be evaluated independently.
In the event of a dispute between members of a submission team, the submission will be deemed to have been submitted by the Team Captain, provided that such individual satisfies all other Contest eligibility requirements. If multiple individuals for the same app submission (whether in their individual capacities or claiming to be Team Captains), Sponsor reserves the right to resolve the discrepancy by any means in its sole discretion or to disqualify all related submissions.
Any questions regarding the eligibility or appropriateness of any submissions for consideration in the Contest shall be resolved by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons who submit false or misleading entry information or who Sponsor determines to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Participants whose submissions are frivolous or fail to meet applicable requirements.
5. COMPETITION CRITERIA AND WINNER SELECTION.
On or about January 7, 2020, one (1) winning individual participant or participating team will be selected in each category. Judging will be conducted the three independent judges, whose decisions will be final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. Eligible entries will be judged and rated according to the following evenly-weighted criteria:
Submissions will be evaluated on the basis of the submitted materials via the categories listed at https://community.blockstack.org/evil3-criteria
. Only materials submitted in accordance with the Official Rules will be deemed part of the official entry. Any required materials not included in the submitted materials will not be considered.
The winning participant or participating team will be notified within one (1) week following selection of the winner, by message sent to the e-mail address used at the time of registration on https://app.co/mining
. Sponsor will also make an announcement of the winner on twitter at twitter.com/blockstack.
6. PRIZE AND PRIZE CLAIM:
One (1) individual participant or participating team selected as the winner will be awarded the following, subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules:
Grand Prize for Most Fun Category: Cash prize of Five Thousand U.S. Dollars (USD 5,000).
Second Place Prize for Most Fun Category: Cash prize of Five Hundred U.S. Dollars (USD 500).
Third Place Prize for Most Fun Category: Visa gift card prize of One Hundred U.S. Dollars (USD 100).
Grand Prize for Best Use of Twilio Category: Cash prize of Five Thousand U.S. Dollars (USD 5,000).
Second Place Prize for Best Use of Twilio Category: Cash prize of Five Hundred U.S. Dollars (USD 500).
Third Place Prize for Best Use of Twilio Category: Visa gift card prize of One Hundred U.S. Dollars (USD 100).
Grand Prize for Best Designed, Lightning Enabled Category: Cash prize of Five Thousand U.S. Dollars (USD 5,000).
Second Place Prize for Best Designed, Lightning Enabled Category: Cash prize of Five Hundred U.S. Dollars (USD 500).
Third Place Prize for Best Designed, Lightning Enabled Category: Visa gift card prize of One Hundred U.S. Dollars (USD 100).
The winning individual or team is subject to verification, including verification of age and residency. The prize is non-transferable and no prize substitution is permitted. If the prize is awarded to a team, it is the responsibility of the Team Captain to allocate the prize to the team members.
The prize will be fulfilled within four (4) to six (6) weeks following the announcement of the winner and the completion by the winner of all steps necessary to receive the prize in accordance with these Officials Rules. Sponsor is not responsible for any fluctuations in the value of any prize (e.g., due to differences in exchange rates) occurring throughout the duration of the Contest or otherwise before the prize is fulfilled. In order to claim the prize, the winner must respond to Sponsor's notification within five (5) business days by emailing Sponsor at [email protected]
, with any requested information, including but not limited to wire transfer instructions where the prize will be deposited.
The winner may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility and/or provide other documentation that Sponsor reasonably requires to verify eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules, as well as a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law). Required documents must be notarized, if applicable, and returned within five (5) business days of request of such documents.
Sponsor's inability to reach a potential winner after a reasonable (as solely determined by Sponsor) effort has been made, the failure of a potential winner to timely respond to a prize notification, the return of any prize notification as undeliverable, and/or a potential winner's failure to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules may, in Sponsor's sole discretion, result in the potential winner's disqualification. Sponsor in its sole discretion may select a substitute winner by awarding the prize to another member of a winning team or by awarding the prize to the submission that received the next highest score according to the judging criteria. If Sponsor makes a reasonable effort to select another potential winner and that winner does not respond or is ineligible, the prize will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor.
The winner is solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on the prize. The winner is solely responsible for all national, federal, state, and local taxes on prize value and, as applicable, the individual winner or Team Captain of the winning team, will be issued an IRS Form 1099 (or other applicable form) and if a U.S. resident, will be required to submit his or her social security number. The prize winner agrees and acknowledges that Sponsor may be required to withhold and remit a portion of the prize to comply with applicable tax laws and winner agrees to provide Sponsor with any information it requires for tax reporting requirements.
7. TERMINATION: In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering, or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify, or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the close of the Submission Period, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prize based on submissions received before the termination date.
8. PUBLICITY: By entering the Contest as an individual or a member of a team, each individual agrees that Sponsor has the absolute right and permission, except to the extent prohibited by law, to use his or her name, voice, likeness, and biographical information in connection with the Contest for any commercial, publicity, or promotional purpose without limitation, review, approval or compensation.
9. OWNERSHIP OF SUBMISSIONS; LICENSES. As between Sponsor and an individual participant or participating team, the participant or participating team retains ownership of all intellectual property rights in and to the application and all other materials submitted during the Contest. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Participant acknowledges that a goal of the Contest is to encourage the development of contributions which may be freely used by the Blockstack user community, including users of Blockstack, and that the application should be made available subject to an open source license, which would permit copying, distribution, remixing, building upon or other uses for any purpose. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure by any Blockstack user or other third party to comply with any license or restriction applicable to any application submitted through the Contest, or any other use, replication, distribution, and/or modification of any application by any person other than Sponsor (including, without limitation, the commercialization of any ideas). Each individual participant and each member of a participating team, jointly and severally, waives all moral rights in and to any application submitted in connection with the Contest, to the extent such rights are waivable.
As a condition of participation in the Contest, each participant and each member of a participating team grants Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, agents, and advertising partners, a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display, in any and all media (now known or later developed), any submissions in which the participant or team member claims rights (including, without limitation, the application) (1) for the purposes of reviewing, assessing, testing, and evaluating the submission in connection with the Contest; (2) for the purpose of promoting the application and/or the Contest to members of the Blockstack community or others; and (3) in connection with advertising and promotion for the benefit of Sponsor, the judges and any advertising partners associated with Blockstack or the Contest. Participant agrees to sign any additional waivers, licenses or releases that Sponsor reasonably requests in order to make use of the rights granted herein.
Each individual participant and participating team understands that, excluding the opportunity to win a prize, such participant or participating team will not receive any compensation from Sponsor in connection with participation in the Contest, and the participating or participating team is solely responsible for any costs or expenses arising from such participation.
10. NO CONFLICTING OBLIGATIONS / GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: By participating, each individual participant and team member represents and warrants that she or he is not subject to any conflicting obligations that may restrict his or her participation in the Contest or the use of his or her submissions by Sponsor, judges, or other parties as contemplated herein. An individual participant or team member who is an employee of the U.S. Government, or who is employed by any other entity that may restrict participation in the Contest, represents and warrants that he or she has obtained all necessary approvals needed to participate in the Contest and submit intellectual property as contemplated by these Official Rules.
11. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY; WAIVER. The limitations of liability and waiver apply to the extent permitted by the laws of the country, state, or province of the applicable individual participant or team member. To the extent any of the following limitations are not permitted under the laws of the state, province, or country where the individual or team member lives, he or she agrees that the remaining portions of these limitations that are permissible shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by law.
Sponsor (and its parent companies, affiliates, and subsidiaries), Contest judges, any other party that assists Sponsor in conducting, administering or promoting the Contest or fulfilling the prize (the "Released Parties") are not responsible for illegible, lost, late, incomplete, misdirected, or undeliverable email; or for any computer, telephone, satellite, cable, network, electronic or Internet hardware or software malfunctions, failures, connections, or availability, or garbled, corrupt or jumbled transmissions, service provider/Internet/website accessibility, availability, or traffic congestion, or any technical, typographical, or other error, or unauthorized human intervention, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of registration information, or the failure to capture, or loss of, any such information. The Released Parties assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, or technical error.
The Released Parties make no warranties, and to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law hereby disclaim any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning the prize furnished in connection with the Contest.
To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, by participating in the Contest, each individual participant or member of a participating team agrees to irrevocably and unconditionally waive any rights to bring any lawsuit, claim, action, or proceeding against any of the Released Parties in connection with the Contest. 12. LEGAL WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND PURSUE ALL OTHER REMEDIES AGAINST ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
13. INDEMNIFICATION. By participating in the Contest, each individual participant or member of a participating team agrees to release, defend, indemnify, and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any and all claims, lawsuits, judgments, causes of action, proceedings, demands, fines, penalties, liability, costs and expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable outside attorneys' fees) that may arise in connection with (i) his or her violation of these Official Rules or breach of any representation or warranty hereunder; (ii) the submitted materials, including the submitted application; or (iii) his or her acceptance, use, or misuse of the prize. To the extent the laws of an individual's country, state, or province limit or do not permit any of the foregoing indemnifications, such individual agrees that the indemnification obligations that are permissible shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by law.
14. GOVERNING LAW: THE CONTEST IS GOVERNED BY, AND WILL BE CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH, THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAW PRINCIPLES, AND THE FORUM AND VENUE FOR ANY DISPUTE RELATING TO THE CONTEST SHALL BE IN A FEDERAL OR STATE COURT OF COMPETENT JURISDICTION IN NEW YORK, NEW YORK.
15. BINDING NATURE; CONSTRUCTION. By participating in the Contest, each individual participant or member of a participating team agrees to be bound by all applicable laws, these Official Rules, and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision were not contained therein. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of any other provision.
16. CONTACT. Any questions, complaints or issues regarding these Official Rules or the Contest should be addressed to [email protected]
For an email with the name of the individual winner or winning team, email [email protected]
after January 7, 2020. Any such request must be received no later than thirty (30) days after such date.